Is Microsoft Project 2016 right for your Organization?
The release of Microsoft 2016 also comes with significant updates to Project Professional, Project Pro for Office 365 and Project Online.
What is Microsoft Project?
Microsoft Project 2016 is a project management suite of tools for project and portfolio management, that’s designed to assist project managers in developing their plans. With Microsoft Project
2016 you can assign resources to tasks, track your progress, manage your budget, and analyze your workloads.
Microsoft Project is used in a lot of industries including non-profits, construction, pharma, manufacturing, government, retail, financial services and health care.
Microsoft Project includes modules for project work and project teams, schedules and finances. With Microsoft Project you can set realistic goals for project teams and customers by creating schedules, distributing resources and managing budgets.
Microsoft Project’s Project Guide helps users create projects, track tasks, and report results. Microsoft Project also comes with a customizable wizard that walks users through the process of creating a project. Everything from assigning tasks and resources to the final results.
Microsoft Project 2016 now provides an end-to-end experience for managing and optimizing your resource utilization.
Microsoft Project 2016’s top features
Project Portfolio Management:
- Alignment: With Microsoft Project 2016 you can evaluate ideas or measure the strategic contribution of competing requests to determine alignment and streamline of project initiations. You can also create and manage powerful workflows without coding.
- Collaboration: With Microsoft Project 2016 you can collaborate and act quickly without having a breakdown in teamwork. You can also bring the social experiences of SharePoint with Microsoft Project 2016, to facilitate discussions, information sharing and potentially increase your team’s ability to get work done.
- Managing Resources: With Microsoft Project you can sync SharePoint task lists with Project to report on your teams’ activities. You are also able to accurately measure your resource utilization, and manage allocation better to help align with your overall strategies.
- Organize: With Microsoft Project 2016 you can plan and manage projects using the latest project templates from Office.com. It’s easy to understand how your tasks come together and which tasks are the most critical to your project’s success with new Task Path highlighting in the Gantt chart. You are also able to create a project site in Office 365 or SharePoint and with a few clicks you can share project details with your team.
- Deliver Projects: With Microsoft Project 2016 you can use out-of-the-box reports such as Burndown and Resource Overview. Or you can create your own with a familiar Excel-like experience to quickly measure your progress and communicate effectively with your team and executives. With the enhancing tools in Microsoft Project 2016, like Team Planner, you can see and amend potential problems before they can impact your schedules.
Microsoft Project 2016’s new features:
- Capacity Heat Maps: Microsoft Project 2016 introduces the Capacity heat maps with a brand new set of reports to enable at-a-glance visualization of your resources usage. Using too many and not enough resources can be a problem so being able to track your resource usage with Capacity heat maps are critical to staying uninterrupted.
- Tell Me: Since there are so many features in Microsoft Project 2016, Tell Me lets you ask where a certain feature is, instead of having to search for it. The Tell Me feature is a big time saver.
Watch the Microsoft Project 2016 slideshow video:
IT Pros can also see technical capabilities of Project in the cloud with the Project Online overview video.
You can also extend the functionality of Microsoft Project by taking advantage of the Apps for Office form the new Office Store.